Summer Steamed Clams with Herbs
Garlicky and delicately delicious, all you need are a freshly-baked loaf of bread (or one pound of cooked linguine) and a yummy salad.
- Large pot
- Slotted spoon
- Big serving bowl
- 6 lbs Littleneck clams, Scrubbed well under cold water to remove sand and grit
- Good olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ Cup Chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley or tarragon, add some chives if you prefer)
- 1-2 Zest of lemons
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 4 Tbls unsalted butter
- 2 Lemons juice
- In a tall, large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and herbs and cook for a couple of minutes
- Stir in clams and cover the pot. Cook until clams open, about 7-10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the clams and distribute among individual serving bowls (or place in one big serving bowl, if you prefer). Discard any clams that do not open.
- Add herbs to the cook pot, along with lemon zest and red pepper flakes. Whisk in butter and lemon juice until sauce thickens slightly.
- Spoon sauce over clams and serve straight away.